Monday, June 8, 2009

Hummingbirds

Since the invention of airplanes and the ability to strap an ever increasing array of weaponry wherever possible, there has been what is known as the dogfight. However I think calling it a hummingbirdfight instead of a dogfight would be more appropriate.
click to view video.
In contrast to the blistering speed and intensity of the hummingbirdfight featured in the above video, two of the adversaries were eventually able to agree on a (very) temporary truce, and were content to sit on opposite sides of the feeder at the same time!! :o Eventually the dinner rush ended and the feeder was left alone for the night.

By holding the button part way down I found I was better able to snap pictures of them as they were buzzing around. Hummingbirds have got to be on the top ten for worst posers. >:-(

This is either a female, or an adolescent male... my guess is a female. Here is a good view of the "ruby" throat.
We used to name the hummingbirds ( red neck, red beard, red baron, spot, etc.) but I can't tell the difference anymore.So if I hadn't been taking the pictures, I wouldn't be able to tell this bird...and this bird are the same.
The Guardian.

This a perch just above the feeder, giving whichever hummingbird is currently king of the feeder, the perfect ambush position.

Well as always I hope I haven't bored you, I also thank and applaud that you have taken the time and brain cells to read this never ending post full of half-intelligent jokes and attempts at humor, ramblings and so forth.

-Thomas

2 comments:

  1. Man, them things are FAST! Nice video, by the way. =)

    -Courtney-

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, nice pics. no hummingbirds up here in MA.

    ReplyDelete