Monday, June 15, 2009

Jojo and the ducks

This video shows just how much the ducks have grown. (They’re bigger than the chickens) They love roaming around outside and swimming in their pool, even though it’s not as spacious as it first seemed =(.

(Jojo's fro has grown considerably in the front, but the back is sadly bald from the hens constant plucking, I think they're just jealous ;)

Once a week we empty the pool and use the potent mixture on the chicken garden (corn, pumpkins, and sunflowers) I used to recruit my understandably reluctant brothers to help me form a bucket brigade, but then discovered the miracle of the siphon =). Now I can siphon the whole pool down to the garden without hauling a single bucket.
The big ducks have since been combined with the chickens and get along about as good as can be expected. After the first few days of annoyed squawks and quawks they seemed to have agreed to disagree. We are expecting eggs from the chickens in a few more weeks, hopefully by the end of June, and are mulling ( I like that word =) over the design and whereabouts of the nesting boxes.

Here’s a pic of Daphne the duck and the 3 little tractor supply ducklings in the pool before we emptied it. I know the water looks gross but it takes a long time to fill and the ducks don’t seem to mind:/

3 comments:

  1. Haha. Your chicken had a bad hair day when you took that video!

    -Courtney-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna,

    I just wanted to let you know that I will not be at skating tomorrow because I have to work. We won't be there next week either because we have VBS, but hopefully the week after.

    God bless
    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, the other girl's name is Alexis, but the costumers did not know that so it didn't really matter. Thanks for the comment. VBS is going very well. Tomorrow the teen group is having a cookie contest. There is a prize for the the best tasting cookie, the best looking cookie and the worst tasting cookie. :) (The winner of last year's worst cookie put tuna and coffee grounds in his) :P Since I am the helper for the teen group (7th-9th) I get to be one of the judges. :D YAY, fun!

    God bless
    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete