Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One week old chicks

The chicks are one week old today (Feb 28th), They were born or “hatched”, and shipped on the 20th ,but we didn’t get them till the 23rd . I started decreasing the temperature a few days ago, and it’s been tricky getting a consistent temperature. Keeping the 27 chicks from freezing or baking to death is a full time job, along with cleaning and refilling the waterer and feeder, adding clean wood chips to the soiled ones, and wiping off poo encrusted hineys. If it isn’t wiped off, the bird can become constipated, and die. It’s true I read it on the internet. Their feathers are getting larger, and the Cornish roasters are already twice as heavy as the layer chicks. I just hope they all survive to adult hood since we didn’t have them vaccinated or feed them medicated feed, or pour an antibiotic called teramycim into their water, something a Tractor Supply co. employee said was necessary for their survival. She put $30 worth of it into our cart, which we removed after she left. -- Anna

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna-and others,
    I understand about the poop hinnies, we had lots of those last year, it was so sad..they would chirp while we held them under the warm/hot sink water and pulled it all off..yuk!
    Well any way, Se you guys-and girls-Tomorrow!

    His Princess,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Those little chicks sound like a LOT of work. The video was so cute. I especially like the yellow chicks (not sure what they're called). Anyway, I just got a job interview at Arby's tomorrow at three thirty so, PLEASE pray for me. Thanks!!! I guess I'll see you all on Thursday.
    God bless
    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete