Monday, February 23, 2009

Chicks!





























The chicks are here! A few weeks ago we ordered twenty-five chicks from an online hatchery. Late last night I was still awake setting up their brooder (heat lamp and cardboard box in the bathtub) I know kind of last minute, but my entire weekend was very busy, well not really but Saturday we spent all morning and afternoon moving things out of the shed because it’s in the way of our future garage and needed to be moved, I was so tired after that, I didn’t feel like doing anything constructive. Sunday we had company all day but afterward I managed to slap 3 cardboard boxes together, hang the lamp from a spare curtain rod and dog chain (cheap but effective), and wash out the borrowed feeder and waterer before collapsing into bed after 11:00. At 6:50 this morning the phone call from the post office woke me up, very soon after that we were on the road. The lady at the post office handed us two peeping boxes, we had already gotten in the car when we realized the 2nd box did not belong to us. Triumphantly we marched our noisy little box into the 3rd bathroom, I mean brooder facility, and released the chicks into their new home. The hatchery had sent us two little freebies, one of which we have since found out to be a White Crested Black Polish a comical little fellow with a yellow cottonball on top of his head. At first he didn’t look so good laying around and not eating, but he soon perked up after feeding him some mash-- just their food dissolved in warm water with a spoonful of yogurt. It’s been very difficult to do any school today because we often go “check” on the chicks instead of slaving over geometry. --- Anna


5 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I've always wanted to raise some chickens. I don't think it will work too well in our apartment. Maybe someday . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    This is Hannah. I don't know why but I couldn't post a comment without sining in to my mom's account. The chicks are SO adorable. I love little animals. :) Thanks for the comment.

    God bless
    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    Thanks for the e-mail. That e-mail address is fine. I look forward to getting e-mails from Anna. We missed you all yesterday at skating, there wasn't very many people at all (no speed bumps). I hope you all are going well.
    God bless
    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! The chicks are soooo cute!

    -Courtney-

    ReplyDelete