Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chopping wood


A little while after we moved in our new house we had two acres cleared.


We have mostly pine trees (I guess that is why our neighborhood is called Pine Springs) and only a few hard woods, but it still took longer then expected to clear it all.

So dad went out one day and cut one of the few big oaks up with his chain saw. After school I loaded the tractor up with the wood and stacked it between two trees. After dad finished cutting the tree he showed me how to split wood. For a while we thought we were going to have to buy a splitter but then we decided you don’t need one, that’s what kids are for. For some reason I like to split wood, I don’t know I just like pounding in a wedge or every now and then splitting a piece in one swing. I just can’t wait till we can burn it but it is not really cold anymore; I guess it will be seasoned in a year though.



We put the whole logs on the right and the split logs on the left. The stack on the right used to be as tall as the one on the left. -Philip


No comments:

Post a Comment